Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Green Beans with Cumin and Fennel




This blog has been renamed and moved.  The new name is Jasmine Tea.  Please visit this post at http://www.jasmineteablog.com/2010/03/green-beans-with-cumin-and-fennel.html



I like learning how to make Indian dishes because I like playing around with spices.  I feel like a witch using magic ingredients to make potion. This simple vegetable dish is very similar to Chinese stir-fry.  You put the aromatics in, then the veggies, then the seasoning, some liquids, cover and wait, and then there it is, a magic potion for me to revitalize my day.  I need veggies everyday.

Kitchen notes:  I did not change much about the recipe since this is such a simple one.  I did increase the turmeric by a small amount because I like the smell of it. I also substituted parsley with cilantro because I did not have cilantro on hand.  But please do use cilantro. It gives a nice touch to the dish.

magic ingredients

Recipes:  Green Beans with Cumin and Fennel

Ingredients:
3     Tbsp canola oil
1     tsp whole cumin seeds
1     tsp whole fennel seeds
2     good-sized shallots or 1 small onion, peeled and cut into fine slices
1     garlic clove, peeled and cut into fine slices
1    1" piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into very fine slivers
1    lb green beans, cut into 1" pieces
1    tsp ground coriander
1    tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/2 cup water
3/4 tsp salt
1    small tomato, chopped
3    Tbsp fresh cilantro, minced

Directions:
  1. Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat.  When the oil is very hot but not smoking, add the whole cumin and fennel seeds.  Stir for a few seconds and then add the shallots, garlic and ginger.  Stir for a minute or until lightly browned.
  2. Add the beans and stir for another 2 mins.
  3. Add the coriander, cumin, turmeric and cayenne and stir for a few seconds.
  4. Add water and salt and bring it to simmer. Stir and cover.  Turn the heat down to low and let it simmer for 5 mins.
  5. Add the tomato and cilantro. Stir and cover.  Cook for another 4 to 5 mins oruntil the green beans are tender.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just wanted to say that this recipe looks like a hit!! I will definitely try it and thanks for sharing!!

Grace said...

Thanks. Please let me know if you like it.